Tourism in India is a crucial aspect of growth in the Indian economy. The Indian tourism industry is contributing around 9.2% of the overall GDP also providing 8.1% of employment every year. Making your career in Indian Tourism Industry is exciting and adventurous as well. To get a job in Indian Tourism Industry you must hold a supporting educational qualification. Let me answer the question “How to get a job in Indian Tourism Industry?” in detail.
In India to get any job, you should meet specific educational qualifications. Similarly to get a job in Tourism Industry you should poses any of the Bachelor’s degrees or post-graduation degrees. Know about the courses related to Tourism Industry and respective colleges offering them.
Bachelor Degree courses
To peruse any of these courses the basic requirement is a class 12th certificate from any board and in any stream. Any of this program duration is 3 years after your class 12. Here is the list of bachelor degree courses available in India:
- BA Tourism Studies
- BA Travel and Tourism
- Bachelor of Tourism Studies
- BA in Travel and Tourism Management
- BA in Hospitality, Travel and Tourism Management
- Bachelor of Tourism Administration
- B.Sc. in Travel and Tourism Management
- B.Sc. in Hospitality and Travel Management
- BBA in Travel and Tourism Management
- BBA in Hospitality and Travel Management
- B.Com. Travel and Tourism Management
After completing your graduation also you can get into tourism industry jobs but, 2 years course of Post-graduation enhances your skill set. After completing the Post-graduation course you may have more chances of getting into better jobs with good pay. To join these Post-graduation courses all you need is a minimum of 50% marks in any of the above-listed graduation courses. Here are the Post-graduation courses available in the tourism industry:
- MBA in Travel and Tourism management
- Master of Tourism Administration
- Master of Tourism Studies
The basic eligibility to join the Diploma courses is 10+2 in any stream from any board. The course duration and other things may vary from institute to institute. Generally, the diploma course duration will be 1-2 years after completing 10+2. There are some institutes that provide diploma courses of 6 months also. If you wish to get into the tourism industry as early as possible then pursue any of these Diploma courses:
- Diploma in Tourism Studies
- Diploma in Tourism and Ticketing
- Diploma in Airfare and Ticketing
- Diploma in Tourist Guide
- Diploma in Aviation Hospitality and Travel Management
- Diploma in Hospitality and Travel Management
- Diploma in Travel and Tourism Management
Top Reputed colleges for Tourism courses
There are many colleges that are providing Tourism courses in India but these are the top reputed colleges among all.
- Thomas Cook-Centre of Learning in Maharashtra.
- Blue Whale Academy in Maharashtra
- BharatiVidyapeeth College of Hotel and Tourism Management Studies in Maharashtra
- National Institute of Hotel Management and Tourism in Odisha.
- Garden City College in Karnataka
- National Institute of Tourism and Hospitality Management in Telangana
- Indian Institute of Tourism and Travel Management in MP(state)
- Amity Institute of Travel & Tourism in Uttar Pradesh
- Kuoni Academy in New Delhi
To survive in the tourism industry one should possess certain skills like you should be open to understanding global cultures. Also some skills like computer reservation systems (CRS), sabre&Abacus, Amadeus. It is good to have other skills like dealing with money, foreign currencies, Indian geography, travel management, and customer service.
You will be dealing with Indian historical places so, it is helpful if you have a strong idea of India’s ancient history, architecture, geography, and monuments. If you get a chance to learn any foreign languages it becomes an added advantage for your career.
Also, it is more important to keep yourself updated with the immigration, passport, visa, and ticket booking process and its guidelines from the Indian Government.
Career growth in Tourism Industry
India is the ideal destination for tourism, according to survey job opportunities in this field grows drastically in the coming years. In the future, the demand for Tourism Industry increases similarly the pay scale may also increase. It creates huge opportunities for people with good knowledge in Tourism Industry.
Many private sectors are part of this Tourism Industry along with the public sector. So, after completing your graduation in tourism courses you can get jobs either in private or public sectors. You can have opportunities in transport agencies, cargo companies, hotels, airlines, and travel agencies. One can get job opportunities in public sectors like departments of tourism and directorates.
A person with good experience and network in the tourism industry can set up their own travel industry in the future.
Salary perks in the Tourism industry
Like any other sector Tourism industry is also providing salary packages according to your skill-set and prior experiences. An average travel agent can make around 3 lakhs per annum it can be increased annually. Similarly, there are various positions like a front office executive, Tour operation manager, and travel coordinator with different packages.
Hope these are the details requires for anyone with a question “How to get a job in Indian Tourism Industry?” Before making a decision start doing enough research and then make a decision. Read reviews of travel industry employees for more information. Increase your network of people to get suggestions or any referrals if possible.